Friday 30 December 2016

new tool!





Playing with the Slate (iskn) and getting to know it quickly. Love how it stores the lines.

Attempt 1 -  in offline mode - to my delight it stored the movements (and mistakes).

sketch 1



Attempt 2. This time plugged into the app. Flowers in a vase
sketch 2 - flowers in a vase



Attempt 3. This time using the different settings of the app a Robin.

sketch: Robin




My first request - a melting snowman

Sketch: melting snowman




sketch:houses



making mistakes is ok - sketch



Some notes:
What I loved about the Slate is that it was so easy - I drew something offline - it appeared within a minute of 'collecting' it. Then I could change the background image. I could add layers and I could have a recording of the strokes. It was incredible that I could use it in 'screenless' mode and could travel without the app.

When I managed to use it with the app (after finding a compatible Apple product and updating it) the time it took to draw, export as a jpeg/movie and then upload these to a post was trivial. But having this on a computer means that I am 'tied' to it when using the app. However, it also means I can reuse paper and draw over several drawings.

I also love the idea that I could use it to trace and maybe use as a way of animation.  In fact, when it hadn't managed to note my marks, I could retrace/redraw over the drawing.